Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum IndexEx-Church of Christ Support Group
For former members of the Churches of Christ

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Marry in the Lord
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Examine CoC doctrine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Carson

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memtiger wrote:
It took Jimmy Allen for my mom to turn COC, whatever his standard hellfire and brimstone mid 1970s rant was, it worked.

SIGH.

Just as I am with out one plea....

bellelune

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good heavens -- Jimmy Allen nearly caused my downfall at Lipscomb -- I was so offended by his sermon at a chapel service (held in the gym so more people from all the nearby churches could come) that I tried to get up and leave. Fortunately? my friends prevented my exit.

I also took "Marriage and the Christian home" as a Bible course at Lipscomb -- taught by Dean Mack Wayne Craig. Must not have learned much because I married a nice Jewish boy from the Bronx and it has lasted almost 39 years now.
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bellelune wrote:
Dean Mack Wayne Craig

Jeebus, couldn't his parents just PICK a name??
Bill Carson

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHero wrote:
bellelune wrote:
Dean Mack Wayne Craig

I'm thinking "Dean" might be his title. Question
indigoblue

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Carson wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:
bellelune wrote:
Dean Mack Wayne Craig

I'm thinking "Dean" might be his title. Question

You're right. He was the dean of something or other. But he was always called Mack Wayne Craig. I'd never noticed that they were all first names. Throw in the title, and it does look ridiculous. Laughing

But back to the original post, I too went to a Match Factory college and found a mate. I felt it was my duty to marry in the cofc. I was brainwashed. The marriage was a disaster. I thought I'd grow to love him. It didn't happen.
musicman

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also took "Marriage and the Christian home" as a Bible course at Lipscomb -- taught by Dean Mack Wayne Craig.

I had that same class...and remember being told that if we HAD to marry someone from outside "THE CHURCH" we'd better convert him/her before marriage, because it would be nearly impossible to do so after marriage.
musicman

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You're right. He was the dean of something or other. But he was always called Mack Wayne Craig.

"Dean" wasn't part of Mack Wayne Craig's name. It was his title. He was the chief academic officer of Lipscomb for years.
bookworm

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to see the posts made by those of you who married other cocers the "first time around." I took Marriage and Family with Thaxter Dickey at Florida College. Interestingly, my future EX-husband was also in the class with me. lol
witchypoosback

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another married a coc the first time around. DH who converted to coc after marriage and I have been married over 39 years.

Religion is for those who fear hell, Spirituality is for those who have been there...
FreeIndeed

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad was (and still is) a coc preacher and I only had one coc girlfriend. The funny thing is that he never had a problem with me dating mostly non-coc girls from school. Although, he was pretty excited about the one coc girl! In retrospect, that would have been a complete disaster. She was already way more conservative than I was, and the divide just got wider and wider over the next several years.
Struggler

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeIndeed wrote:
My dad was (and still is) a coc preacher and I only had one coc girlfriend. The funny thing is that he never had a problem with me dating mostly non-coc girls from school. Although, he was pretty excited about the one coc girl! In retrospect, that would have been a complete disaster. She was already way more conservative than I was, and the divide just got wider and wider over the next several years.

Despite all the pressure and teaching from church people, my father wasn't as dogmatic in his later years. Dated girls who weren't C of C, and in some cases, not part of any church at all, and he didn't seem to mind.
la bella vita

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggler wrote:
Despite all the pressure and teaching from church people, my father wasn't as dogmatic in his later years. Dated girls who weren't C of C, and in some cases, not part of any church at all, and he didn't seem to mind.

My mom is reasonably accepting of the fact that my boyfriend is Catholic - the last two guys I dated long term were both agnostic (I believe one is now an atheist and the other is starting to embrace his parents' eastern religious beliefs), so Catholic is a step in the right direction in her book. I think she's still clinging to hope that I'm going to start attending a CoC regularly again and bring him along with me - I hope she isn't holding her breath on that one.
slaybelle

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookworm wrote:
It's interesting to see the posts made by those of you who married other cocers the "first time around." I took Marriage and Family with Thaxter Dickey at Florida College. Interestingly, my future EX-husband was also in the class with me. lol

Ahh...Thaxter Dickey...another one of those golden coc names.
agricola

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't date at all as long as I lived at home. Non coc members were out of the question and the coc boys I knew (and who knew me) weren't interested in dating coc girls (or me in dating them, either, mostly). I didn't date until my 20's, and didn't marry until 35. DH and I have been married 23 years come summer.

Sigh - dear mother. She and daddy did come to the wedding. She told me (the day prior) that I might live a very good life but I would burn in hell forever. So cheering. Other girls get a sex talk!

"New Tricks"
John Levitt
gone4good

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a verse in 1 Timothy that says a widow should marry "in the Lord." But the COC twist that around, too!! And being single in ANY church is almost as bad as leprosy (or AIDS or whatever.) The coc doesn't have a corner on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Examine CoC doctrine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: