Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum IndexEx-Church of Christ Support Group
For former members of the Churches of Christ

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
So, have you ever heard Bert Thompson teach on evolution?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Church of Christ: Doctrine & Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veronica

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirflea & I were also at FHU with Kyle and Bethany.
I wonder why so many of us from FHU have turned up here.
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veronica wrote:

Not just from FHU, but from those particular years! It's a little unreal. Gosh, now it's got me wondering who all of you are, because undoubtedly I know you.
renoir

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veronica wrote:

There's quite alot of ACU folks on here too, including at least one I know personally. ('96-2007 anybody?) From a varying span of time though. I wonder if there is some sort of average dynamic for how long it takes people to get out of the CofC and reach out to other survivors, it could explain the gaps. I'm guessing that number is rapidly shrinking though.
SafeInChrist_NotCOC

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: FHU Reply with quote

Veronica, I think it's because FH is and was so repressive. <sings> I was FH, when FH wasn't U! I was FH, from my head down to my shoes!

LOL. Seriously, I was at FH before it got to be U. Big whoop.
I think I'm older 'n' y'all, cause I wasn't there with Kyle and Bethany.

~~Samuel M. Shoemaker

--
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you FHU'ers laugh a lot during the awful, insipid alma mater song?

"A debt we owe to thee..."

Yeah, no effing shit. Still making those payments for that worthless education.
Bill Carson

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is Bert Thompson serving time in prison? If not, what happened to him?
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, as I recall, the boy who brought the accusation was 16 at the time of the event, which is the legal age of consent in Alabama. Also, he waited 20 years to come forward, which no doubt is well past the statute of limitations. I'm not sure any charges were brought against him, which I think is B.S.

Here's a summary of what happened. The one that got him fired was NOT the first allegation.

http://www.christianchronicle.org/article2042006~Longtime_director_of_Apologetics_Press_fired
GMan

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually restrain from saying things in the negative, but what a piece of slime.

PEACE

Glen McGuire
formerfreedeejoe

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: FHU Reply with quote

SafeInChrist_NotCOC wrote:
Veronica, I think it's because FH is and was so repressive. <sings> I was FH, when FH wasn't U! I was FH, from my head down to my shoes!

LOL. Seriously, I was at FH before it got to be U. Big whoop.
I think I'm older 'n' y'all, cause I wasn't there with Kyle and Bethany.

I was there before the U too. Early 80's
KennyG

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHero wrote:
Bill, as I recall, the boy who brought the accusation was 16 at the time of the event, which is the legal age of consent in Alabama. Also, he waited 20 years to come forward, which no doubt is well past the statute of limitations. I'm not sure any charges were brought against him, which I think is B.S.

Here's a summary of what happened. The one that got him fired was NOT the first allegation.

http://www.christianchronicle.org/article2042006~Longtime_director_of_Apologetics_Press_fired
If they knew about it and didn't stop him, I guess they are as guilty as he. If he was actively abusing kids and no one with evidence reported him to the police, they are guilty. Even the victims, I believe, should realize that he might victimize another child younger than them, and should come forward.

You wish you had a baseball bat sometimes....
renoir

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHero wrote:

I just thought this quote was funny:

Quote:
“We are deeply grateful for Dr. Thompson's longstanding warfare against the sinister doctrine of evolution, with his eloquent affirmation of the biblical account of Creation,”

Sinister, huh. Warfare, huh! CofC trademark there: using derogatory language about any other point of view than one's own, and couching everything in military or gunfighter terminology.
GMan

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renoir wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:

I just thought this quote was funny:

Quote:
“We are deeply grateful for Dr. Thompson's longstanding warfare against the sinister doctrine of evolution, with his eloquent affirmation of the biblical account of Creation,”

Sinister, huh. Warfare, huh! CofC trademark there: using derogatory language about any other point of view than one's own, and couching everything in military or gunfighter terminology.

So very true, keep the sinister out of here.

PEACE

Glen McGuire
SafeInChrist_NotCOC

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, Bert was languishing down in Arkansas somewhere...in counseling, and totally not getting why his sons wished nothing to do with him, and ESPECIALLY why they didn't want him seeing his grandsons, period!! Shocked Shocked I guess he was still livin' in his little dream world of self-delusion. ERGH!! Rhonda divorced him posthaste and moved to Freed, where a kind friend got her a job. (O'course, this was three years ago...things could have changed by now. But I doubt seriously they would change any for Bert himself!)

~~Samuel M. Shoemaker

--
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lookingup

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person I know was just a couple months away from being his intern... living in his house for the summer Shocked . The whole situation sickens me. Bert has caused problems way to close to home that may never be repaired.

The article that seems to dismiss his "actions" is disgusting.
Struggler

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the CC article dismisses what Thompson did. It was merely reporting on what happened. The CC is more like a traditional newspaper.
The statement from Apologetics Press was sick and I'd never want to give them any money or moral support; I'd never do that anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Church of Christ: Doctrine & Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: