Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum IndexEx-Church of Christ Support Group
For former members of the Churches of Christ

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
preacher support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Church of Christ: Doctrine & Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FDCOCER

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: preacher support Reply with quote

Let me first state I know there are plenty of good sincere men who are preaching and struggling to make ends meet, but I saw something in a coC bulletin that irritated me. This coC was listing all preachers they support with info including avg attendance and total monthly support. The first thing I noticed was several of them had NA for total support. One preacher, however, had avg attendance of 24 (he and his wife have 6 kids), and his total annual support was $75,000. The larger congregations will send $ to a man like this, but not use any of their funds to feed the poor, clothe the homeless, etc. Interesting, I think.
keep_low_profile

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution that has helped me is to stop reading CofC bulletins and websites. Yeah, it is hard to stop and there is plenty there to snark about, sometimes it is like looking at a wreck on the highway. But the advice for the complaint of "Hey, Doc, my arm hurts in two places" still applies. Laughing
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$75,000 is waaaaaaaaaaaay on the high end of preacher's salaries. Are you sure you read that right?

In any case, with six kids, I bet none of that 75K was going into savings!

As an ex-preacher, I'll be the first to admit that I think a lot of churches waste too much money on hiring someone to educate them when they have men perfectly capable of doing the job already. Some are willing to spend an awful lot just so they can have someone to do their Christian work by proxy.
FDCOCER

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHero wrote:
$75,000 is waaaaaaaaaaaay on the high end of preacher's salaries. Are you sure you read that right?

In any case, with six kids, I bet none of that 75K was going into savings!

As an ex-preacher, I'll be the first to admit that I think a lot of churches waste too much money on hiring someone to educate them when they have men perfectly capable of doing the job already. Some are willing to spend an awful lot just so they can have someone to do their Christian work by proxy.

Oh yeah, I read it right. I had a friend look at it, and he was also shocked.
GMan

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That boggles the mind.

PEACE

Glen McGuire
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shocked too. I've never known a preacher who got paid that much who wasn't working for a large congregation.
rehab'd

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the $75K was not $USD. Maybe the preacher lives in Costa Rica and that included mileage and other expenses Very Happy
bellelune

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye, it could have been the total package -- salary, housing allowance, car expenses, health insurance, etc.
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rehab'd wrote:
Maybe the $75K was not $USD. Maybe the preacher lives in Costa Rica and that included mileage and other expenses Very Happy

LOL!

I'm not a preacher anymore, and I'm never going to be one again, but I find it amazing that people get their shorts all in a bunch when preachers are paid more than what it would take to keep them out of abject poverty. Would we even be having this discussion if we were talking about a doctor, a lawyer or a psychologist?
Free Thinker

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be snarky at all, but most preachers do not have even CLOSE to the level of education that a Dr., lawyer or psychologist! Some go to Freed or Harding and get a degree, others just go to MSOP, and that 'education' is really just indoctrination and not scholarly at all. I don't have any idea what the COC preachers in my old town make, I know it included a house and insurance, and was still $40-50K, which in my low COL area is actually very good. I also understand a little bit about the taxes, being self employed for a few years, and I know about deductions, keeping track of mileage and expenses, but frankly that just doesn't matter. WHen you look into any job you should look at available employment, level of education needed and cost of said education, and most importantly the PAY SCALE! We all know teachers are not paid enough, but they do have good benifits and good hours. It's a trade off someone makes b/c they are drawn to teaching. I feel like preaching is sort of the same thing. You should know what you are getting into if you do any background research.
Tired42

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not trying to be snarky at all, but most preachers do not have even CLOSE to the level of education that a Dr., lawyer or psychologist! Some go to Freed or Harding and get a degree, others just go to MSOP, and that 'education' is really just indoctrination and not scholarly at all. I don't have any idea what the COC preachers in my old town make, I know it included a house and insurance, and was still $40-50K, which in my low COL area is actually very good. I also understand a little bit about the taxes, being self employed for a few years, and I know about deductions, keeping track of mileage and expenses, but frankly that just doesn't matter. WHen you look into any job you should look at available employment, level of education needed and cost of said education, and most importantly the PAY SCALE! We all know teachers are not paid enough, but they do have good benifits and good hours. It's a trade off someone makes b/c they are drawn to teaching. I feel like preaching is sort of the same thing. You should know what you are getting into if you do any background research.

I agree. Well put, Freethinker.
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Free Thinker, and I would agree that 75K is a bit much.

But there are some folks out there who get mad if the preacher makes over 20K and/or counts his mileage as a tax break. That's the part I can't understand.

I've worked for congregations who think that if they pay you $35K without a house or anything else that you're overpaid and that they ought to own you like a slave.
cotjockey

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...the CofC here has only had two paid preachers in the past thirty years. The one that was married had to put up with people complaining about the flowers planted in their yard and how much coffee he bought at the local convenience store. The one that was single was so eager to show what a martyr he was that he ate a can of beans for most meals and stapled his pants when they split in the back.

Preachers should be able to make a living doing what they do!
Tired42

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've worked for congregations who think that if they pay you $35K without a house or anything else that you're overpaid and that they ought to own you like a slave.

Ugh. When I worked at the public library, the patrons were like that. Can't count the number of times I heard the old "our taxes pay your salary so you should get us anything we want immediately" as if we had a genie and could poof the book for them. Or better yet, stay open an extra hour just for them w/o pay. Cause stuff like that really motivates you.

Fact is, "they" didn't directly pay my salary. A quarter of a cent of their tax dollars every six years or so, maybe, went into my measly part time minimum wage salary w/o beneifts. Not nearly as bad as a preacher's lot, I realize, but it was ridiculous. People would report us to the city because the work room was messy (cause we were working) or the flag had a tiny thread loose (and the replacement cost TONS) and would even approach the librarians in the friggin' grocery store about their issues w/ the library. I mean, seriously?

Come to think of it, a lot of people who frequent public libraries also spend inordinate amounts of time in church. Coincidence?
GuitarHero

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tired42 wrote:
Quote:

Ugh. When I worked at the public library, the patrons were like that. Can't count the number of times I heard the old "our taxes pay your salary so you should get us anything we want immediately" as if we had a genie and could poof the book for them. Or better yet, stay open an extra hour just for them w/o pay. Cause stuff like that really motivates you.

Fact is, "they" didn't directly pay my salary. A quarter of a cent of their tax dollars every six years or so, maybe, went into my measly part time minimum wage salary w/o beneifts. Not nearly as bad as a preacher's lot, I realize, but it was ridiculous. People would report us to the city because the work room was messy (cause we were working) or the flag had a tiny thread loose (and the replacement cost TONS) and would even approach the librarians in the friggin' grocery store about their issues w/ the library. I mean, seriously?

Come to think of it, a lot of people who frequent public libraries also spend inordinate amounts of time in church. Coincidence?

You should try being a teacher someday. Kids and parents literally think they live at the school.

I'm convinced that the vast majority of this world thinks that everything works by magic and don't understand the basic mechanics behind even the smallest social interaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Church of Christ: Doctrine & Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: