Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum IndexEx-Church of Christ Support Group
For former members of the Churches of Christ

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Hatfield and McCoys on History Channel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Church of Christ: Doctrine & Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Hatfield and McCoys on History Channel. Reply with quote

I really didn't get into the mini series, but when I was watching it for a few minutes last night they were showing them going to church and I think it said on the front of the church... church of Christ.

Were the Hatfield and McCoys members of "The Church"

would make sense as much as they were fighting and killing each other.
SeekingSimplicity

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it on but wasn't really watching it, just half way listening. I heard them singing Are You Washed in the Blood
keep_low_profile

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick internet search shows Hatfield to have been baptized by a CofC preacher. The preacher name is D y k e, but our site here thinks that is nasty so I have tweaked the text below with a double yy (pun intended)

http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/278
Quote:
...Devil Anse Hatfield lived many years after the feud. He was baptized by his old friend, preacher ‘‘Uncle Dyyke’’ Garrett,

http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/2082
Quote:
Clergyman William Dyyke ‘‘Uncle Dyyke’’ Garrett (December 10, 1841-May 29, 1938) was Logan County’s most famous preacher for the Church of Christ. He was born on Big Creek, the son of John and Eliza Godby Garrett. He enlisted on the side of the Confederacy in the Logan Wildcats (Company D 36th Virginia Infantry) at the start of the Civil War but was made the company’s informal chaplain when it was found he was deaf in one ear. He deplored the war, denouncing it as against God’s will, having evidently come to that conclusion after witnessing the execution of Southern deserters. Previously unordained, Garrett began thinking seriously about Christianity after the war and was converted by Alexander M. Lunsford, who preached in Mingo and Logan counties. Garrett became a circuit rider, preaching throughout Logan County the rest of his life. He was the inspiration for the construction of the Crooked Creek Church of Christ and helped establish a sister church in Logan Courthouse, now Logan.

Garrett married Sallie Smith in 1867, and he and ‘‘Aunt Sallie’’ remained married for 71 years. He was a friend of feudist Anderson ‘‘Devil Anse’’ Hatfield from at least the late 1860s onward, and his greatest fame was for converting Hatfield and baptizing him in Main Island Creek in October 1911. Devil Anse and d**e Garrett were members of Camp Straton United Confederate Veterans, the social organization that controlled Logan County politics between 1870 and 1915, with Garrett serving as the group’s spiritual leader. Beloved as the ‘‘Good Shepherd of the Hills,’’ Garrett was a fiddler who danced to his own music, and he had a fine tenor voice.

Ivyrose

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatfield and McCoys on History Channel. Reply with quote

Porcupine wrote:
I really didn't get into the mini series, but when I was watching it for a few minutes last night they were showing them going to church and I think it said on the front of the church... church of Christ.

no kidding.......those rascals were our brethren? PERFECT!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

the only difference between then and now i guess is the shotgun.

~ Carl Sagan
memtiger

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9SrXRNPRCA&feature=related
Ivyrose

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memtiger wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9SrXRNPRCA&feature=related

love it!!!

~ Carl Sagan
CADreamer

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Part 1 last night. I *think* the sign on the church (which showed up within the first ten minutes) was Tug Creek Church of Christ. My husband looked at me and said "well, THAT explains a lot". Embarassed
Ivyrose

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CADreamer wrote:
I watched Part 1 last night. I *think* the sign on the church (which showed up within the first ten minutes) was Tug Creek Church of Christ. My husband looked at me and said "well, THAT explains a lot". Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing a_bravo a_bravo a_bravo

~ Carl Sagan
Ivyrose

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help explain why campbell's vision became so distorted.....the hillbilly* clans took the cofc dogma and made it their own.....resulting in what it we have today. Laughing

maybe this should be our new ex-cofc site avatar:

* not that there's anything wrong with hillbillies. just sayin.

~ Carl Sagan
Ivyrose

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~ Carl Sagan
memtiger

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcibt4eNy3I

In honor of Richard Dawson.

Sorry BH I find it humorous that the poster edited out Carter's speech to the nation concerning the hostages. In 1979 those blank VHS tapes were not cheap.
MMayK

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so randomly weird I looked at this post but I'm from WV so I'm obsessed with anything about my little state. My current pastor is ex COC too and his great uncle is the Garrett who baptized Devil Anse Hatfield.
P@trick

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hatfield and McCoys on History Channel. Reply with quote

Porcupine wrote:

Yes, the whole feud was about what brand of grape juice to use for the Lord's supper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex-Church of Christ Support Group Forum Index -> Church of Christ: Doctrine & Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: